Monday, July 20, 2009

An Asheville Escape

Biltmore Cows
I don't know what it is but I LOVE mountain meadows.
Makes me want to paint this...on the list.

This past weekend we dropped the kids off in Spartanburg and headed onward and upward to Asheville for a much needed day/night away. Originally, Scott wanted to go camping, but sanity(me) won and we stayed downtown and had a day and a half of Asheville fun. I LOVE being in Asheville, it satisfies every bit of my being, from the bohemian/free spirit to the crafty/artist to the outdoorsy/hiker chic, to the refined/socialite (ala Biltmore, a girl can wish she was a Vanderbilt Heir):) Anyway, it was great. Every bit of me feels rejuvenated. I ate, drank, shopped and lazed around and even managed a bit of exercise. AND it was only 70 degrees it felt like spring.

Places we went in Asheville.

Waechters Fine Fabrics: has fabrics for all types of sewing, they had a huge selection of Liberty of London fabrics so beautiful to the touch. I could have stayed all day, but the hubby was restless...(although what shop offers beer to the poor husbands and has a corner carved out with a nice chair, and men mags) Definitely on my list of places to go in the future.


July_09 026

July_09 060
Biltmore Gardens with Home in the distance.

Biltmore Estate Winery: Really fun in the afternoon, Tour the Winery, have wine tasting, and finish your tour with a glass of wine outside with a bluegrass band playing, and the mountains in the distance.

July_09 100
Outside of the Bistro at Dusk

Bistro 1896: On Pack Square downtown Asheville. Weather was so gorgeous we had to sit outside. Awesome people watching, The Napoleon appetizer was to die for, and if they had not overcooked my steak it would have been perfect, but the Chocolate Torte made up for it:)

Tupelo Honey Cafe: For Sunday Brunch. Even though I didn't NEED the Eggs Bette (benedict) I had them anyway and they were DEVINE! The hollandaise to DIE for! THE reason I worked out 10 min. more on eliptical this morning!

Back to the Biltmore: Went for a stroll around the Bass Pond, and went to the River Bend Farm. They have the kitchen garden, and chickens, and tons of stuff for the kids.(for next time) Must have the Moose Tracks Ice cream.........YUM!

July_09 120 icecream...after
Moose Tracks Before and After....
a great way to end a nice getaway. Even if it cost me 5lbs


Biltmore
Wouldn't you know we went to the Biltmore and saw the house but didn't go in..
I have been so many times and Scott just didn't want to, so we explored everything
ELSE the Biltmore has to offer.


Then home, Sigh.... all in all a great trip.

In the Morning, G

No comments: